Here's my current rig

:: Media :: Tech

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Here's my current rig

Post  victorNeutron on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:24 pm

Well I haven't really posted much, but here's my current computer build! I am just going to copy all the text I had from my reddit post, so here it goes...

Source: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hi builders! I recently reached the stage of build completion after my previous attempts of my DOA motherboards, but finally I have one that works! This post will be quite long, but I will put a TL:DR after. Here's is it!

[1] Part list permalink / [2] Part price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU [3] Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $199.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler [4] Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $23.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard [5] Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $184.98 @ Newegg
Memory [6] Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $39.99 @ Newegg
Hard Drive [7] Hitachi 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $82.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card [8] EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Video Card $229.99 @ Newegg
Case [9] Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply [10] OCZ 600W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $49.99 @ Microcenter
Optical Drive [11] Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer $18.99 @ SuperBiiz
Optical Drive [12] Asus DRW-24B3LT/BLK/G/AS DVD/CD Writer $29.98 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping and discounts when available. $910.88
Generated 2012-02-09 21:15 EST-0500
[13] This is what you guys have been waiting for! - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] pictures
Let's get into review.

CPU/2500k - This processor is speedy and powerful for just a low cost! I had picked this up at MicroCenter, along with a Z68AP-D3 mobo from Gigabyte at first, but then after a few DOA's, I went with a more reliable brand (imo), Asus. This is certainly a step up from my old prebuilt computer processor, the [14] AMD Phenom X4 9100e. It performs most of my daily tasks and multi-tasking tasks plus gaming, like a piece of cake. Also currently clocked at 4.2 Ghz.

CPU Cooler/Hyper 212 - This fan's price and performance ratio is great! But it was a pain in the butt to install. The instructions weren't as clear, and was forced to watch a YouTube video to find out how to install it. After successfully placing it with a few tries, I am satisfied. I would also pick this up again for another build if I did.

Motherboard/P8Z68-V/GEN3 - The motherboard's capabilities are really good imo! I like the nifty EFI bios, compared to the regular BIOS used on the Gigabyte - more simple for a guy who doesn't go into the bios as often. The only problem with this motherboard to me, is where the 8 pin CPU power connector is placed. On the Gigabyte, I had before it was placed next to the 24 pin cable connector, which was ideal for cable management. OCZ is known for short cables, so I had to deal with just putting it straight up towards the connector, but eh. Once I feel like reorganizing my case I will buy a 8 Pin power extender to have better cable management. Overall, great experience with ASUS!

Memory/Blu - Eh, I don't have much to say about this memory, except for the fact that it has 1.65v instead of 1.5. I just picked this up because it was cheap, but I am certainly going to sell this to a friend sooner or later for a pair of Vengeance or Crucial sports Ram.

HDD/Maxtor - It wasn't necessarily the one that was on PCPartPicker list, but I picked this up at Microcenter. 500 GB at SATA 3.0/Gps I was satisfied. I had divide the hard drive in half, for my games and my os (stupidest mistake ever). Well my Games + Downloads hard drive is nearly full, only about 80 gbs left. I am planning to get a SSD soon, preferably a 120-128 GB one. I am leaning on a reliable Crucial m4 or a OCZ sandforce controller one. If you builders can help me on this question, I would very appreciate it. Overall good!

Graphics Card/560TI - This is such a damn beast! It runs everything at Ultra I throw at it! Skyrim on Ultra High, Saints Row 3, man its the best thing ever! The CUDA cores also help me a lot in my photo editing and my video editing I do from time to time. The only regret about this card is simply buying the 1 GB version. As knowing BF3 uses more than 1 GB Vram, thinking this would suffice. But BF3 has a mix of Ultra and High. Highly satisfied. Would recommend to anyone.

Case/HAF912 - This case was recommended to me, from a cousin and fellow redditors. I am simply pleased with this case, but the fact that I had got a damaged one, and noticed exactly before the day of the return/exchange policy. It was just a minor faceplate problem, as it not clipping all the way in, and uneven position. I am very OCD about this, and tried nearly everything with pliers, but I just gave up and left it at that. I bought it at Frys btw. Highy satisfied with cable management options and air flow. Would buy again.

Power Supply/OCZ 600W - As I said in the motherboard section, the only flaw is the fact that the cables are short. I am satisfied in every aspect except in that, would buy again, but remembering to buy extensions.

Optical Drives - Pretty good, it burns my media quickly and quietly. I plan to buy a Blu-Ray drive soon as I watch a lot of Blu-Ray movies.

Fan Controller/Scythe - For the people who want to buy one, here it is [15] Scythe Fan Controller. I love this fan controller to death! It controls my fan like a boss. I was almost buying a NZXT sentry, until I heard about them not performing well with the Cooler Master fans. Good purchase!
Internal Card Reader/Sony - I had first had an Inland Card Reader (Microcenter's Brand Items) and it sucked bad. It would recently make my card have errors, so I returned it back to my local MicroCenter, to get this at Frys. The sony reader is better in every aspect. Lesson learned, don't cheap out on card readers.

FANS - The fans were awesome!! They are quiet and easy to install! I made one mistake of buying the translucent black ones, thinking they would light up like my clear 200MM one. Once I get the money I will buy the Clear LED fans for my front part of the case, and the side panel. I would probably use the old fans for a Push and Pull set up of the Hyper 212.

TL:DR - Satisfied with every part.

The redditors, who read this, thanks for reading, and I hope you guys have a safe and good night!
Leave suggestions, comments, and etc below!
victorNeutron

View user profile http://www.mast3rm1ndvector.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Here's my current rig

Post  Rplix on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:15 am

We have almost the same build, only a better HD and a GTX 560 instead of a 550ti that I have.

You know, people have overclocked the i5-2500k to like 4.9ghz with the stock cooler. The processor is so nice! I got a motherboard and the i5 for $210.
Rplix

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/wowfanatic100?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  victorNeutron on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:38 pm

Thanks Rplix! I am currently on my school's computer telling you this. Well imo the 550 ti, is basically a ripped off performance to price ratio. I would rather get an 6850 rather than that. I am planning to get an SSD soon, as said in my post.
victorNeutron

View user profile http://www.mast3rm1ndvector.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rplix on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:50 pm

I will never ever buy a AMD product. All of my money goes towards Intel.

I got the GTX 550 Ti when the 560 was still like $250, and I didn't have the cash back then for it, so I chose the 550 Ti.

It is still a wonderful card, I was able to play BF3 during the beta pretty well. All I am waiting for is the 580 to go down in price in the next two years or so.
Rplix

Back to top Go down

Post  Patriot on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:11 pm

What's wrong with AMD products?
Patriot
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rplix on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:02 am

AMD is bad quality.

Intel works hard on making a good product that will be more efficient.
Rplix

Back to top Go down

Post  Patriot on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:54 am

Ah, but it's cheaper with the same equal performance. The only bad thing about AMD is that of its negative and positive effects, such as Eyefinity and using too much power.
Sometimes AMD is ahead of the game and sometimes it is not. It's a continuous pattern everyone should notice about GPUs and CPUs.
Patriot
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Douglas on Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:37 pm

AMD is alright. I've built a few PC's with their processors. If you are going for an expensive gaming setup, stick with intel. If you are building a work PC or family computer, go with AMD, anything else is going to be too much.
Douglas
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://rebelnet.motionsforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rplix on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:33 am

Indeed AMD had the 6-core processor before Intel out on the market, however, it gets destroyed by the new Intel 6-core.

I agree with Doug, if you are building a lesser quality PC for things that do not focus on good CPUs and graphics cards, stick with AMD for the cost benefit.
Rplix

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top